Take your membership to the next level by getting involved and staying active in Association activities. Below are some of the ways you can support MPA and get the most from your membership!
Network with professionals in your area of practice. Get involved in your practice section (community, consultant and health-system) or affiliated chapter (technicians and student pharmacists) to meet and learn from those in similar working environments.
- Connect with your local association and get involved in community activities. Local association membership is complimentary with your MPA membership, so take advantage of discussing best practices with those living in your region. Members who don’t establish a local association upon joining will be assigned to the local nearest to them. If you aren’t sure which group is nearest you, visit the local association page to view a map of all locals or email Membership Development Manager Spencer Higgins to designate a local in your membership record and get involved.
- Advocate for pharmacy and contribute to the voice that’s protecting your profession. Partner with Michigan Pharmacy PAC and participate in advocacy efforts to reach out to legislators. Know who your representatives are and contact them about important pharmacy issues. Write your legislator, invite them to visit your pharmacy or health-system, or schedule a meeting with them to discuss something that’s impacting your practice. Pharmacy PAC can educate you about this process and help you be a part of making a difference by promoting good public health policy. In addition, you can join the Pharmacy Advocacy Response Team (PART) to get involved in advocacy efforts at the state and federal level! PART is a network of pharmacy professionals from all practice settings across the state who meet with legislators, volunteer and engage in educational opportunities, walk for legislators, attend events and respond when needed on issues related to pharmacy. Contact MPA at MPA@MichiganPharmacists.org or (517) 484-1466 for more details.
- Share your perspective by serving on a Committee. Contribute your experience and enthusiasm in an MPA or MSHP Committee. Be a part of shaping the focus and growth of your Association. Explore the different Committees, and indicate your interest. Committee members are also encouraged to invite others to get involved! Bring along a resident or student pharmacist to a meeting or MSHP Committee Day to show them the value of getting involved and the important projects that these groups work on.
- Take advantage of volunteer opportunities. The Association has several opportunities for members to volunteer time or supplies to support events. Pharmacy Day at the Capitol, held the second week of September each year, is an event that educates legislators on the important role pharmacists play in health care. Pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and student pharmacists have the opportunity to volunteer their time at this event (or donate supplies) to help provide health screenings, discuss key pharmacy issues with legislators and assist with the medication disposal event held in conjunction with Pharmacy Day at the Capitol. This is just one example of many opportunities to volunteer and support MPA!
- Become a published author. MPA has a variety of publications that provide members with an opportunity to write about a topic that interests them and share their knowledge and expertise. Put together a continuing education article to inform other members about a prominent pharmacy issue, or contact MPA to see if an article is needed for an upcoming practice section newsletter. The Association would love to hear about practice developments at your site or help your resident publish their first article!
- Support Michigan Pharmacy Foundation initiatives and events. Michigan Pharmacy Foundation (MPF) donations benefit leadership programs, scholarships for student pharmacists, grant projects that encourage improved health outcomes and initiatives that promote a positive professional image of pharmacists. Throughout the year, MPF holds a number of activities that members can participate in, including the Adopt-a-Student program that provides a networking opportunity to student pharmacists and a chance for them to gain a mentor. Annually, the Foundation also partners with other charitable giving organizations, holds a personal care product donation drive, Charity Auction, Golf Classic, fall fundraiser and a Gala. There are plenty of ways that Association members can give back to their profession through the Foundation and support the future of pharmacy by helping to develop up-and-coming practitioners!
- Organize a Michigan Pharmacy Week or Pharmacists Month activity. During Michigan Pharmacy Week and Pharmacists Month in October, members are encouraged to educate patients on the important role of pharmacists as part of their health care team. Whether it’s by setting up an informational display at your workplace or a local community building, holding a coloring contest at your pharmacy or something as simple as hanging up a poster at your practice site, by promoting these annual observances, you’re supporting pharmacy, celebrating the profession and shedding positive light on your role as a member of the health care team. Utilize materials from MPA’s That's My Pharmacist campaign, or create your own! Be sure to share your event information with the Association so we can help you spread the word and increase participation.
Not sure where to start? Contact MPA at MPA@MichiganPharmacists.org or (517) 484-1466 to find out more information about the activities above and how to get involved!