Michigan Residency Toolkit
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative (PPMI) delineates the importance and necessity of residency completion for clinical care. As the market becomes more competitive, new practitioners are seeking residency positions to help transition from student to clinical pharmacist. Despite the fact that more residency programs have become available over the past several years, the number of student pharmacists and graduates applying has dramatically increased.
The MSHP Residency Committee remains focused on helping to create new residency programs as well as expand existing programs. In order to facilitate this process, a toolkit is now available to assist institutions in developing and expanding pharmacy residency programs. The toolkit addresses several areas identified as potential rate limiting steps in defining, acquiring, and justifying a new or expanded residency program. The MSHP Residency Toolkit consists of six helpful sections, which are briefly described below:
- MSHP Resident Justification Worksheet – for those interested in starting a residency program, this worksheet will show you how to estimate Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services pass-through funding as well as the total savings to your institution.
- MSHP Resident Justification Blank Worksheet – provides a “blank” version of the above worksheet; available as a fillable PDF or separate from the toolkit as a customizable Word document.
- Checklist for Developing Your Residency Program – provides a detailed list of the key steps to consider in planning your residency program.
- Incorporating Pharmacy Residents into Your Practice Model Article – provides various examples of how residents can be successfully incorporated into your practice model. This document also includes a list of residency program directors who are willing to answer questions about implementing or expanding a residency program.
- Recruiting New Residents to Your Residency Program Article – provides a list of recruitment events in Michigan and neighboring states. This document also discusses the role of technology and past students/residents in the recruitment process.
- MSHP Resident Expansion Justification Worksheet – for those interested in expanding your residency program, this worksheet will show you how to estimate the workload impact and cost of such an expansion.
Click here to access the Michigan Residency Toolkit. If you are interested in either starting a residency program or expanding your current residency program, please contact Alisha Swanchara, MPA staff liaison for the Residency Committee.